Thursday, July 9, 2009

As I've wandered through Italia in previous years, I have become intrigued by the prevalence of dead people from thousands of years before. Italy's art and rich history is a huge reason people find themselves here. What I want to understand is the stories behind the statues and monuments.
I've heard of ancestor worship in China and thought 'that is crazy'. But then I considered the saints in the Catholic tradition. San Crescentino lived in this region close to 2,000 years ago, and people are still talking. Who will we be talking about 2,000 years from now?
Walking through Urbino, I stumbled upon two statues and one painting depicting the legend of the saint of Urbino, San Crescentino. I read in, Italian Education, that each city in Italy has a patron Saint and Urbino has Crescentino.
He stands tall as he slays his dragon, which symbolizes evil, in the image below. One doesn't have to search for this saint. He keeps showing up in image after image here. I asked the bishop of the Duomo today about Crescentino and he said, "Everyone knows him but none try to imitate".


A replica of an original, San Crescentino was placed this year in an Urbino square on the first day of June to celebrate the day of feast held in his honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment