Thursday, July 16, 2009

Keeping It Local

It was an adventure filled day. My alarm went off at 3:30 a.m. so I could be ready to leave by 4 for the coast. On assignment for a fish story, two group members and I followed a local fish truck to see how they gather their gold.
We snaked around curvy roads, arriving at Rimini, close to Pesaro, in about an hour. When we arrived, we went into a smelly room filled with fish, squid, crab, lobster, mussels, sardines and even sting ray. The workers hauled each iced filled containers onto a conveyor belt that ran across a sort of fish stage that men from above inspected before keying in their orders.
The prices were projected on the wall above and depending on the quantity of the day's catch varied from high to low. We asked where we could film the boats that brought in the fish and were soon led down the block where the Adriatic was waiting to greet us.
About 100 boats of all shapes and sizes were anchored in the bay. We walked around and saw fisherman unloading their nets. They were a happy lot. As we made our way back to the car, the owner of the Urbino market asked if we would join them for an espresso before heading back to town. Our Italian counterparts did not speak English and we little Italian, but we managed to have a delightful exchange.
On the way back, I counted the hours I could sleep until my next task, but I ran into another group member who was on her way to interview a cheese maker. "Why not?' I thought. So I loaded up and was off to see cheese.

This is fresh cheese.


Production of ricotta.


The big pot of cheese.


A day's hard work.

What a joy it was to see how fresh indeed the food is here in Urbino. The efforts of the citizens is to be celebrated.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie! I love this post! I totally missed out on our group's adventure (darn! one of us has to do the web for this one ;) and now I feel like I am in the loop! I am going to tell my family about your blog because then they can see all that we are up to over here (is that cheating?!!). Kudos on the pics of the cheese factory. Someone really ingenious must be doing a story on formaggio! The photos are very cool! I'm excited to see how the final piece for our project looks!

    ReplyDelete