Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Inside City Walls

Perhaps not all who entered Urbino were always welcome but the grand door that once stood as the main entrance to Urbino no longer exists. As I made my way into the city, up the long stretch of hill, I thought what an intimidating but glorious entrance it must have been and is today.
Outside the Duomo (or Cathedral), I saw another dog patiently waiting for its owner. As I passed the faithful companion and entered the church I was struck by the pure grander of the building. The elegance of this massive holy place is astounding. The ceiling reaches 50 meters or about 164 feet at its highest point. Detail after intricate detail draws the eye above and around. Art depicting Bible scenes are referenced in a delicate but powerful fashion.
With a prayer whispered from a kneeling position, I headed towards the door with the intention to light a candle in Catholic tradition. To my disappointment, instead of spreading the light with another burning flame, here one must instead flip a switch. I refused.
The natural element of fire is representative of God’s creation. Electricity is creation however the idea of the eternal flame, that light can never be overcome by darkness is somehow less effectively conveyed through plastic and tubing.
In childhood, I remember seeing the red glass protecting the flame that was never extinguished. Would leaving the switch in the up position be the modern day equivalent? Signs of modern times encroach on this ancient city. The video surveillance in the streets, the cranes in the distance, the main square’s neon sign announcing events and these candles all point to a reality that some things cannot stay the same.
In a country where things cannot stay the same, I’m happy to report pride is still taken in a fresh meal made with the best ingredients served in a relaxed and inspiring atmosphere. My friends and I had a tasty and relaxed lunch at 3piante overlooking a lush landscape made of various shades of green. One glass of the casa’s vino bianco coupled with verdure pizza satisfied not just the belly but more importantly the taste buds. One comrade asked a local Italian what the drinking age was in Italy.
“No doesn’t exist.”
Short pause.
“Yes exists, but I think it is 16. But non important, I was 12, 13…
it is not a big deal.”
Moderation is a key to maintaining a balance in life. The Italians do not seem to get worked up over children being introduced to a substance of the world that can bring both pleasure and pain. What better setting than home to teach such a lesson.
But then I’m only an outsider and perhaps my opinions are not always welcomed.




View of porch dining at 3piante restaurant in Urbino


Verdure e vino courtesy of 3piante


Tower and Duomo, notice the crane ready for an assignment


No matches necessary. Click the metal switch for light.

1 comment:

  1. These pictures are absolutely beautiful, the vegetable and wine picture is so cool.

    ReplyDelete