Thursday, July 2, 2009

First Day

First day in Urbino
The hills are topped in towers. Here the Beatles would sing, sunflower fields forever. Fear was abundant as I flew in a sung seat from Newark to Rome. As I exited the plane, I thanked God for the miracle of safe flight. I thought my prayers were through, but as I tried not to look down during the 4-hour bus ride to Urbino from Roma, Our Father surfaced once again. The autostrada was narrow, the curves were wide and the trucks were dangerously close as the motorcycles sped on by. There was no median for mistake. I keep telling myself, the bus driver has done this a hundred times…but when he passed a truckload of rocks on a blind curve, I couldn’t have faith anymore. But we arrived and in one piece.
We are staying on the campus of the University of Urbino, which is outside the walled city. Windows open to reveal a scene made of green rolling hills and mountains dotted with the occasional home or structure. We have yet to explore the actual town but will soon. The university has done a great job of feeding us cafeteria style without the cafeteria taste. I’ve had gnocchi, fresh croissants, peaches, Nutella with fresh bread and water with every meal. No Cokes here unless you are willing to part with a few euros. However in the cafeteria vending machines, a Coke is .50 euros.
For a beer or box of wine, one needs not travel far. For the same amount of a Coke, one can purchase a fruit box containing enough to fill a glass of red or white vino. And one box is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment